I started my editorial job on September 4th. For the past month and a half, I’ve been leading a sedentary life. My morning commute involves 2 hours of sitting in the car. Then I’m parked at my desk all day at work. After a quick 30 minute workout, it’s back in the car for an hour and a half ride home. I walk from the car to the couch, exhausted from my work day and ready to veg out and watch TV until it’s time for bed. I wake up the next morning and do it all over again.
(I’d love to wear a pedometer to see how frighteningly few steps I take on a typical day.)
My sedentary life is starting to bother me. I try to eat healthy and get a good night’s sleep, but because of my lack of physical activity, I feel lousy all the time. No energy, stiff muscles, mentally fatigued, aches and pains from so many hours of sitting.
So how can I sneak more movement into a typical workday? I plan to…
- Walk to the far kitchen to fill my water instead of taking 10 steps to the nearby kitchen.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator (I work on the 6th floor so this will definitely make a difference.)
- Use my lunch break to go for a walk or walk on the treadmill at the office’s gym.
- Set a reminder to stand up and stretch every hour that I’m sitting in front of the computer.
- Drink more water. (More water = more walks to the kitchen for refills and more trips to the bathroom.)
- Take a multi-vitamin. (Just in case my attempt at a healthy diet isn’t cutting it.)
- Add 10-15 minutes to my gym workouts whenever my schedule allows.
- Refuse to sit on the couch when I get home from work until after I’ve completed 2 or 3 chores.
- Try to be as active as possible on Saturdays and Sundays to make up for sitting all week.
- Hunt for an apartment in Boston so I can eliminate riding in the car for 3 1/2 hours every day.
I love my job. I’ve learned so much about the publishing world as it shifts from print to digital. I can finally see a career path spreading out before me. Since I won’t be escaping from this sedentary office life, I need to find a way to make it work. I’m confident that I can have a desk job while still being healthy and in good shape. If you have additional suggestions of ways I can sneak more movement into my life, please let me know!