A Blog Dedicated to Living a Healthy Lifestyle

KO Catering and Pies

Last week I would’ve told you I had no clue about authentic Australian food.

Thankfully now that’s all changed!

With South Boston as home base, KO Catering and Pies serves authentic Australian food. Established in October 2010 by co-owner Aussie chef Sam Jackson, it is the first Australian inspired food business to be opened in New England.

I tried a Curried Vegetable Pie and a Classic Pie.

Apparently meat pies are sold everywhere in Australia.  The palm sized pies with rich flaky crusts are often filled with beef and gravy.

(I was reminded of French Canadian traditional pork pies.  I like the Aussie pies better!)

Jared bought our pies at KO’s Southie shop that he often passes while walking home from work.  After being in a paper bag for 20 minutes in the bone chilling Boston weather, our pies needed to be reheated.  15 minutes in the oven at 350* did the trick.  Perfectly warm inside and out with a beautiful golden crust, the pies looked heavenly.

In the instructed Australian fashion (yes, legit instructed… we received an info card that taught us how to reheat and eat the pies), Jared and I ate our pies with lots of ketchup.  Mmm!

Visiting Australia has always been a far off dream of mine.  I’m happy to know that now I can enjoy a sneak peek of the Land Down Under by visiting KO Catering and Pies and ordering an authentic Aussie dish.

KO Catering and Pies on Urbanspoon

COMMENTS

7 Comments

1. 1.  Daisy

February 18th, 2011 09:01 AM

I love KO Catering & Pies. Oh now you’ve got me craving one!

2. 2.  natalie (the sweets life)

February 18th, 2011 12:16 PM

not going to lie–i like anything you can eat with ketchup :)

3. 3.  J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog)

February 18th, 2011 02:12 PM

Those little pies are adorable! My husband likes pot pies, so I’d sure he’d like these, too. :)

4. 4.  Kim

February 18th, 2011 07:09 PM

Cute…another place to add to the list of new tries…

5. 5.  Katy

February 19th, 2011 07:20 AM

My grandmother was from Sydney, and for her birthday every year, we’d make lamb with mint sauce and use the leftovers for meat pies. She always said they were delicious, but I think she REALLY missed the authentic pies from home.

She passed away last year (and I’m vegetarian!) but I plan on making some meat and mock-meat pies for her birthday this year.

I’m dying to go, as well. My family flew to Australia and New Zealand a few years ago, but I couldn’t go. Such a bummer.

6. 6.  Shelley

February 19th, 2011 08:57 AM

If / when you make it down here, make sure you get gourmet pies, rather than just your local run of the mill corner deli pie :)

And DEFINITELY don’t buy pies from the supermarket. Reliable nutritional information is a bit hazy at best …

And lots of ketchup (we call it tomato sauce) completes the pie, as you have found out!

7. 7.  Kristy

February 19th, 2011 02:49 PM

I’m with Shelley in that you’ve got to try the gourmet variety, always good. However, I think you actually do have to try a cheap and nasty one from a football game or other such public event. They are why we always eat them with SOOO much tomato sauce (ketchup). It’s to cover the fact that the meat is often fatty in this particular variety!!!
    But a good pie with quality steak chunks and onion, and perfectly flaky pastry can’t be beaten, and I often don’t even put sauce on these ones!!